Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I’m going to reprint the book I’ve been talking about.

I am now rereading it.  The book sort of fell into my hands a long time ago. It languished on my “must read” bookshelf for years.  It was a curious thing.  All black cloth covers with the title on the top of the spine and Jack Adams at the bottom of the spine. Inside there was an explanation, which stated that it was not written by the person whose name was on the spine. It was not written by the two people who held the copyright. It was the manuscript of Dr. T. A. H. Lowe, who died four years before the book was published. 

I tried to find out a little about this Dr. T. A. H. Lowe , but nothing appeared when I started looking at the National Archives in Kansas City. They have a lot of census data on line and they are only six blocks from my home so I tried there first. It took a couple of months for me to find out that I was looking for Tilghman A. Howard  Lowe. Some times the A. was added, sometimes the first name was spelled Tilman.  There was a Tilghman Howard Hunt and finally I concluded that the Tilghman Howard in Indiana was the one that was born first and since he had a military career and political office he was the one that the others were named after.

 I could eliminate Tilghman Howard Lowe from Omaha because he went off to medical school and was expelled for intoxication which prompted him to head for California. 

The one I wanted information on was Tilghman Answorth Howard  Lowe a graduate of the Eclectic Medical school in Cinncinati, Ohio. At least I was pretty sure he was my man because he ended up practicing Medicine in a couple of places in Kansas.
I finally got to the Historical Archives in Topeka, Kansas and they had a couple of cards in the card catalogue (yes brothers and sisters they still operate with a card catalogue) which referred to Dr. T. A. H. Lowe and wonder of wonders they had a copy of the book .
At last I felt, that now, I at least, was started after the right culprit.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that a book published so many years ago still draws the interest of people in 2013. It is also interesting that the search for background information can become as compelling as the reading of the book.

    ReplyDelete