Saturday, December 21, 2013

IN the book, the characters have gotten stuck in the ice.  It makes a great adventure but I am not too  enamored with cold.  The description of the Aurora Borealis they see, is very short of the actual thing. I first saw the Aurora Borealis out the airplane window of a JAL flight to Japan. It was very spooky. If one had never read of it, and was trapped in the ice and had absolutely no knowledge of its existence it could be very traumatic . With prior knowledge it was for me eerie and breathtaking. It seemed alive. There were color changes that moved through a shape like a waving flag.

I’ve been real cold, having lived in the mid-west for a large portion of my life. Waiting for the bus, walking to school, before there were snow days, or working for the plumber trying to dig up a frozen sewer pipe in frozen ground. All I remember is promising myself that I am never doing this again. 

When the plumber called me the second time, I went, because he said it was triple time all day. I know it was my greed that kept me warm.  The plumber must have known, that double time would not drive the cold from my mind. I was really greedy, triple time made the cold wind bearable.

My most vivid recollection of cold, came from my imagination. It ran rampant  while watching the movie “Coming Out of The Ice”. When the hero finally slid down into a warm bath in Vladivostok, I quit shivering and I was watching the movie in a hotel room in Hong Kong. It was very warm outside.

Incidentally  Willie Nelson plays the part of “Chicago Red” or “Detroit Red” who gives the hero a homemade trap to catch rats for food, uttering a great line that is something like “After all this they can drop you anyplace in the world and you can live through it”.
So being around ice in movies, in real life or in the book does not hold my interest very well.
I do like ice cream and I like to watch it snow particularly if I am sitting by a wood burning stove.  Wood heat seems to move deeper into the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment