Monday, January 13, 2014



Maybe culprit is the wrong word. 

Me culpa , “accepting the guilt” was the position I was coming from.  My dictionary provides mostly definitions that carry hints of criminality or misdeeds for the word culprit. I mean that Tilghman was the person who supposedly started the project. He is the culpable human that must take responsibility for starting something which seemed to consume a lot of the time available to his wife and also the time of Alcanoan Grigsby. 

Who knows, there may have been a lot of others involved in some way or other, which we have no way at present of knowing about.
I know that it has consumed a lot of my hours over the last year and a half. My time is explainable as perchance, a bit  of obsessive behavior, which I prefer to call following a line of coincidences. 

The slight change in perspective which has appeared in my life,  in retrospect, seems almost inevitable, but it required a catalyst . The persons I’ve run up against, through out my life include several who could have been that catalyst, but for some reason it took a 114 year old book. 
Some have said the book is a very good read, I hate that type of talk. A good read can be equated with finally taking a long awaited “good elimination of water”.

The reality is that it is an intriguing book, it is something which I appreciated spending time reading. I also reveled in researching the who, what for, and where ever of its appearance. It’s pages  carry adventure. It’s pages carry and lay out succinctly, IDEAS worth PONDERING. I am also of the opinion that there are at least two levels at which one may read the book.

I am positive that Dr. Tilgman A. Howard Lowe started putting the book together.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if there were a small community involved in the writing and publishing of the book. Do you also think there was more than one writer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. What is a "good read"? Something that achieves what it sets out to do? In that case, isn't an instructional manual a good read if we're able to assemble the product out of the box?

    In that case, "Nequa" isn't a good read because it is impossible to know what to expect from it. A necessary book is one that asks more questions than it answers in the reader's mind, and "Nequa" does that. I found it to be an engaging reading experience for two reasons: (1) as cultural artifact; (2) as the articulation of ideas that we still struggle with today.

    I'd be interested in hearing more about the who and what for behind the book as well.

    ReplyDelete